July 20, 2008

Jen's Homemade Salsa

I originally got this recipe from another mom I know who made it for a Mexican themed party that I attended a few months ago. I have tweaked it to my liking and changed up some of the ingredients. It is now different enough from the original recipe that I can claim it as my own. I served this as an appetizer with some corn chips, and I also used this to mix in to my pinto beans.

Jen's Homemade Salsa
1 14.5 oz can of fire roasted diced tomatoes (I use Hunt's brand)
4 cloves of minced garlic
1 4oz. can diced green chiles
1 4oz. can diced black olives
2 diced fresh tomatoes
5 green onions chopped
1-2 chipotle peppers, seeded and diced
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of onion powder
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of coriander
1 teaspoon of Ancho chili powder
1 tablespoon of lime juice
1/4 cup of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 tablespoon of hot sauce (I like Tamazula brand)
1 small pinch of dried Mexican oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Place all ingredients in a storage container and stir lightly to combine. Let mixture stand for at least 1/2 hour before serving so flavors may blend. Salsa will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week.

No comments: