July 23, 2008

Jen's Hummus: Spinach/Garlic Flavor

This morning I hosted my MOMS Club monthly board meeting, and I decided to make hummus for a snack. I had an abundance of spinach leftover from salads last week, so I thought that spinach/garlic hummus sounded really good. I typically use the same base recipe, and then flavor it with whatever ingredients I happen to have on hand. In the past I have made jalapeƱo/cilantro, sun dried tomato, roasted red pepper, and plain. I find that homemade is better than store bought; and much cheaper to make. Garbanzo beans are very inexpensive, so I just keep them stocked in my pantry.
I served this with some Stacy's Pita Chips and soft, Garlic Naan bread cut into triangles. Everyone seemed to really like it, and most of the kids ate some too. I especially feel good about giving it to Connor and his pals, because hummus is an exceptionally nutritious snack.
This is another recipe where I don't measure all of the ingredients. I typically add one thing at a time, taste, and then adjust the seasoning.

Jen’s Hummus: Spinach/Garlic Flavor
Base Recipe:
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (aka garbanzo
beans)
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt or light sour cream
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
3 garlic cloves
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp ground allspice
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp coriander
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
zest of 1 lemon

Flavor Variation:
4 additional garlic cloves
1 cup of spinach
¼ cup of fresh basil (approximately 4 leaves; stems okay)
¼ cup feta cheese

In food processor blender, puree all the ingredients with 1 tablespoon water. Add more olive oil and salt, if needed.

Jen’s Notes:
This recipe can be easily doubled. All measurements are approximate.

No comments: