July 21, 2008

Jen's Sauteed Zucchini in Red Wine Reduction

Zucchini. I love it. The squash family is underrated, in my humble opinion. This preparation is new to me. I did not want plain vegetables, and I noticed that the short rib sauce had red wine in it. I wanted something with a homogeneous flavor to the main dish; so I started to formulate a plan. I thought that this might be a good way to dress up zucchini in an interesting way. I sometimes feel like a mad scientist, concocting and experimenting with food. My scheme was in motion!
I have a green bean recipe that employs the use of red wine in a similar manner, so I decided to try the same preparation with my zucchini. Since the flavor of zucchini is relatively mild, I thought that the red wine reduction would compliment it nicely...and I was right!

Jen's Sauteed Zucchini in Red Wine Reduction

2 medium zucchini, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup of red wine
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in large skillet over high heat. Add zucchini and saute for approximately 3 minutes. Add a big pinch of salt. Add garlic and reduce heat to medium. Cook for an additional 3 minutes, or until garlic is fragrant. Do not burn garlic (garlic should be barely browned and have very little color on it). Add more salt and pepper, to taste. Remove from heat and stir in red wine. Put pan back on heat, and reduce mixture until most of liquid has evaporated and red wine has formed a light syrup. Turn off heat and serve immediately.

No comments: