July 16, 2008

The Result: Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice

The Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice was so, so, so good. This was a very comforting dish, and something that would be great during wintertime (albeit a little heavy for summer in Phoenix). Nonetheless, totally yummy. My only critique is that I think it could have used more salt in the recipe. I don't think 1/2 a teaspoon of salt for an entire crock pot full of beans is enough. I am of the opinion that seasoning should happen during the cooking process. I don't like to have to use table salt or pepper after I serve a dish. On this one, we had to use a little table salt while we were eating it to get it where it needed to be, seasoning-wise. Also, I had to add about a cup of water at the end, since it dried out and was starting to burn on the bottom. I think I saved it at just the right time, because it was not burnt at all. Whew! I did not really make anything for a side dish, since the main course itself was so filling. I just served with the chopped green onions on top and a small pat of butter for a little extra richness. It was exactly how I imagined it to taste! This was the first time my husband has had Red Beans and Rice and he really liked it. Connor ate a few bites of meat and rice and that was it. I am chalking that up to typical two year old picky eating. I will definitely make this again.

No comments: