July 30, 2008

The Result: Guy's Cajun Chicken Alfredo

Eh.

The best way to describe this recipe is, "eh". It was okay...actually, less than okay. Mediocre would be more accurate. First, the process was way more labor intensive than I originally planned. The steps were relatively easy; it was the timing (of how the dish came together) that was a pain. It was a bit of a balancing act. When I read through the recipe at first, I thought the process seemed less complicated than it was in reality. Now, please do not misread me. I do not mind a complicated dish...if the dish itself turns out to be magnificent. This dish was not magnificent. This dish was "eh". Therefore, in my esteemed opinion, it was too much trouble for just "eh".
Second, the flavors were boring. It was a dish that I had tasted before, almost in the exact same format. It was nothing new. It was filling, but completely blah and familiar. It was not under-seasoned...but it was not impressive either. I would describe the overall taste of this meal as flat, in a 'been-there-done-that' kinda way.
Also, I want to go on record as saying it was not operator-error. I did not adjust or change the recipe, at all. I followed it as written and used ALL of the proper ingredients/equipment, including the correct blackening spice and a cast iron skillet. So, it was not me. I will even go as far as to say that it looked good on the plate, garnished with fresh Parm-Reg and chopped scallions. The chicken was moist and perfect, the noodles were cooked al dente, etc. I will own up to a goof when I screw something up...and I can say with confidence that this dish was prepared perfectly. So, to be clear...IT WAS NOT ME.

As my husband said, it would be "something that he might order at Applebee's". I think that is the perfect description. It belongs on a Applebee's/TGI Friday's/Olive Garden menu. (PS-we do not eat at Applebee's, TGI Friday's, or Olive Garden...for the record). I feel a bit disappointed...and, if truth be told....irritated. Yes, folks...a recipe reminiscent of something you could possibly get at Applebee's, irritates me. I don't like Applebee's. In fact, I hate Applebee's. It's my blog, so I can sneer at Applebee's if I want.
The other thing about this recipe is that I am baffled by all the glowing reviews on the website. Baffled! To be fair, this dish was not terrible (just "eh")...but it certainly did not deserve glowing, 5 star reviews either. I guess I now know who actually eats at Applebee's...and why one of their restaurants (and I use that term loosely) is located in every other strip mall parking lot, in America.

In summation, Applebee's stinks...and I will not be making Cajun Chicken Alfredo again.

1 comment:

Claire said...

I always thinks it's disappointing when a decadent dish (i.e. alfredo!) doesn't turn out good. What a waste of fat and calories, I figure.

Doesn't Guy have a menu at Applebee's or TGIFriday's, one of those strip mall chains?