August 20, 2008

Jen's Oatmeal Cookies

On Monday, my niece Kate and I made some cookies to give to my in laws (as an anniversary gift from their three grandchildren). This is my favorite cookie recipe, and I always have all the ingredients on hand. It is very easy to just whip up a batch, when needed. Since I don't usually bake, I figured I would post this recipe to celebrate this rare event.

Originally, these little lovelies came into my life through my friend Dawn. I am not sure where she got the original recipe, but I am thankful she introduced me to them. I have added some ingredients, changed some of the measurements, and played around with the method, to make these cookies my own.

Jen’s Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients:
1/2 pound (2 sticks) margarine or unsalted butter, softened
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1-1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 cup raisins (OR ALTERNATE: 1 cup of chocolate chips) (OR ALTERNATE: ½ cup of raisins and ½ cup of chocolate chips)

***Mixture of cinnamon/granulated sugar for topping***

Directions:
Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, beat margarine and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Add oats and raisins (&/or chocolate chips); mix well.
Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; Sprinkle top with cinnamon/sugar mixture & remove to wire rack. Cool completely.
Store tightly covered.

Cook Tips and Variations:
BAR COOKIES: Press dough onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered,24

BARS VARIATIONS: Stir in 1 cup chopped nuts. Substitute 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips or candy-coated chocolate pieces for raisins; omit cinnamon.Substitute 1 cup diced dried mixed fruit.

HIGH ALTITUDE ADJUSTMENT: Increase flour to 1-3/4 cups and bake as directed.

Recipe Yield:
ABOUT 3 to 4 DOZEN

No comments: