August 28, 2008

The Result: Blackened Fish Tacos

My version of blackened fish tacos were really yummy. The husband and the boy both loved them. I used catfish and blackening spice in a cast iron skillet. I used two catfish fillets that I cut into 4 pieces. I coated the catfish pieces with the spice, then pan fried the fish until black on both sides. It turned out flaky and perfectly cooked. Pretty easy. I really just had to season the fish, flip it once, and let it cook for a few minutes on each side. When the fish was done, I let it rest for a bit, then I cut into strips so they would be easier to eat in the taco.

I did make my own slaw concoction which turned out really good, and complimented the tacos well. It tasted slightly more onion-y than a normal cole slaw, with less dressing. I don't know how it would be to eat straight (like you would with a regular cole slaw)...but, man alive, it was perfect with this blackened fish. I will put my slaw recipe in a separate post; just in case anyone is curious to try my version.

Rick's tortillas were great. They were still hot when I served them. Yum. There is nothing like a fresh, warm, soft tortillas. Double yum. The pinto beans and mashed avocado balanced the whole menu out. This is definitely a keeper of a meal. My fish taco craving is totally satisfied!

No comments: