October 7, 2008

Claire's Pot Roast: A Variation

I have been dying for a Pot Roast lately. My friend Claire did a super-easy one a week or so ago, and ever since then I have been craving a Pot Roast. The best part is that Pot Roast comes out great in the slow cooker. I used to cook it in the oven all the time , but then I realized it is much easier in the slow cooker. Why heat up your house by using the oven unnecessarily???? See, you cannot argue with that logic!
When I made my Tater Tot Casserole last time, I opened a huge can of Cream of Mushroom soup and only used about half of it. I saved the other half in a plastic container and I have been waiting for the right recipe to use it in. Claire's Pot Roast will be the perfect vehicle for my saved soup. The bonus is that I found Pot Roast for a song this week at the grocery store! Score! I love cheap meat.

So, like with any other recipe...I cannot stick with the original. I have some other items that I am going to throw into the mix. It will be the basic principle, but I will jut add some things that I need to use up. I will amend Claire's recipe to include my variation. It will be a cross between my traditional pot roast, and Claire's take on it with the soup. I typically just put mine in the crock pot with veggies,spices, and either stock or water, to let it cook. This time I am following Claire's lead. After all, she said that this version was the best roast she has ever made! I am hoping for a similar effect.

Claire's Pot Roast

Ingredients:
2-3 lb. chuck roast (I think that's the cut I was using)
3-4 potatoes, peeled and in chunks
4-5 carrots, peeled and in chunks
1 envelope onion soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Jen's Variation:
Add the following ingredients to the above recipe-
1 onion, diced into chunks
3 ribs of celery, cut into chunks
2 cloves of garlic, diced into pieces
salt and pepper to taste
1-2 Tablespoons of water

Directions:
Place cut potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, and garlic in the bottom of slow cooker. Pour small amount of water over veggies. Sprinkle top of veggies with salt and pepper. Place roast on top. Sprinkle onion soup over roast and vegetables. Pour can of soup over roast and vegetables. Cook on low 7-8 hours.



The Result:
This was the best Pot Roast I have ever made. I have never tried the whole 'put soup in it' thing, but let me tell you...it was awesome. Everything combined in the slow cooker and made it's own sumptuous gravy. Yum, Yum, Yum! I am very satisfied. I think I will go lay on the couch now, with my pants unbuttoned...

No comments: