October 30, 2008

Corn Star Raviolis in Sweet Basil Cream Sauce

This has to be one of the dumbest names for a recipe that I have come across in awhile. Despite the stupid name, these looked really tasty when I saw them demonstrated on Guy's Big Bite. Since I have been in the mood to try new things lately, I figured I would give this recipe a go. I have only tried one other Guy Fieri recipe, and it was not all that great. I am hoping that this one turns out a little better.
I don't think I need to serve anything with these, and I like that the ravioli filling can be mixed up ahead of time. That will put me ahead of the game for later. The boy and I have a MOMS Club Halloween party this afternoon, so I will get a late start on my meal preparation. I am hoping that these will come together quickly at dinnertime. Wish me luck!


Corn Star Raviolis in Sweet Basil Cream Sauce

Ingredients:
2 ears Fresh sweet corn, shucked and removed from the cob (or substitute thawed frozen corn)
3 tablespoons Red bell pepper, minced
3 tablespoons sweet onion, diced
10 each Fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
Freshly cracked pepper
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 pinch nutmeg, ground
6 ounces ricotta cheese, room temp
6 ounces cream cheese, room temp
1 package wonton wrappers
2 egg yolks, beaten
3 tablespoons Parmesan, grated
Special equipment: cookie cutter (3-inch round) or ravioli stamp

Directions:
Melt butter in saute pan, add in corn, red bell pepper and onion. Let saute until onion is translucent and corn has released some of it's sugars. Add in 1/2 of the basil leaves and a couple of twists of black pepper. Add in 1/4 cup heavy cream and reduce by half. Set aside to cool.

When cool, smash up a bit with a fork, stir in ricotta and cream cheese. Place wonton wrappers down (three at a time works) and in the center of each, place 1 1/2 t filling. Brush exposed wrapper with egg yolk, carefully place a second wrapper on top and carefully seal edges, making sure to get out any air bubbles. Cut with star cutter, work fingers around edges to make sure seal is tight. Set aside on floured baking sheet and continue to assemble.

When finished, boil water and gently add raviolis a few at a time, cooking for 2 minutes or until they float. Carefully remove and drain.

For Sauce:
In clean saute pan, melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter, when melted, add in remaining basil, saute until crisp and butter is just very lightly browning. Add in remaining cream and reduce to thickened. Add nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste, serve over raviolis immediately. Garnish with Parmesan.



The Result:
These were awesome! Probably one of the best raviolis that I have ever had. Fan-freakin'-tastic. definitely a keeper! They were somewhat labor-intensive, so I will probably only make these for a splurge meal. Also, they were very rich and decadent. They sauce reminded me of a really great Alfredo sauce and the ravioli itself was savory, rich, and full of flavor. Very creamy. So, so yummy. The wonton wrappers held up great, and I had no issues with them falling apart. Everything went exactly according to plan on this recipe, so I was a very happy girl. A bonus was that I got to use my ravioli stamps I bought at William Sonoma, some time ago. Now I feel like my ravioli stamp purchase was not frivolous! I love when superfluous kitchen gadgets become useful.
The only change I made was that I added one clove of garlic and one whole shallot to the filling mix. I only had a small onion, so I supplemented with the other ingredients. I have a ton of filling left over, so I think I am going to improvise some creamy soup from it.

1 comment:

Claire said...

I'll be interested to hear how this turned out. Whenever I've done raviolis using won ton wrappers, they tend to come apart in the boiling water. It drives me nuts!

(Thanks again for keeping an eye on my kid at the park today!!)