October 5, 2008

Marlboro Man's Favorite Sandwich

I desperately need to go grocery shopping, so I am trying to make due with what I have on hand. For example, I found two small, measly, piddly, flat, pathetic, cube steaks in my freezer from July. JULY! If you read this blog with any regularity, you may remember that I got rid of all of my old, frozen meat items...that would include anything from JULY! Apparently, I missed this tiny, wee, insignificant, package of cube steak. Really, barely enough to feed three people. Thankfully, we always eat a big lunch on Sunday, after church. Therefore, Sunday's dinner is always a smaller meal (compared to our weeknight dinners). Since there was not a whole lot of cube steak to go around, I decided to stretch this meat by making this particular sandwich. This recipe allows me to cut my cube steaks into bite-sized pieces, turning it into a more substantial sandwich filling. Also, I realized that I only had 1/2 of an onion left. Yikes! I never get that low on onions. Seriously, I almost convulsed. I went the same route with my 1/2 of an onion...cutting it into the smallest of small pieces to stretch the quantity. Ugh. Hopefully, my family will not turn to mutiny due to hunger pangs. Wish me luck!

Marlboro Man's Favorite Sandwich

Ingredient:
2 to 3 pounds cube steak
1 large onion OR 2 small/medium onions
4 French/Deli rolls
Butter, man
Lawry’s Seasoned Salt, to taste
½ cup Worcestershire Sauce
5-6 shakes Tabasco

Directions:
-Slice onions and cook in 1/4 stick butter until soft and light brown. Remove and set aside.
-Slice cube steak against the grain. Season with Lawry’s to taste.
-Heat 2 TBSP butter over high heat (in same skillet) until melted and beginning to brown.
-Add meat in single layer. Cook one side until brown, then flip and cook until brown, about a minute on both sides.
-Add ½ cup (at least) Worcestershire sauce, 5 to 6 shakes Tabasco, and 2 TBSP butter. Add cooked onions. Stir to combine.
-Butter halved French rolls and brown on skillet.
-To assemble, lay bottom half of French roll on plate. Place meat mixture, followed by a spoonful of juice from the pan. Top with other half of roll, cut in half, and devour

Jen’s Notes:
You can easily substitute ground beef for the cube steak. Also, the recipe quantities can be easily adjusted to make more or less sandwich filling.



The Result:
The sandwiches turned out great, and no one complained about my shortcuts with the ingredients. We served this dinner with glazed carrots, and I used sesame hot dog buns instead of the normal sandwich rolls that are recommended. It really worked out perfectly. I am happy to say that there was just enough food to satisfy our Sunday night appetites.

No comments: