October 23, 2008

Taco Crescent Bake

I have some items that I need to use up in my fridge, crescent dough being one of them. This recipe is always a winner with the family, and it is very kid-friendly. I don't have tortilla chips (unless you count the two wayward, stale taco shells that I found in the pantry), so I am going to have to substitute Sun Chips instead. It is the best I can do with what limited supplies I have on hand. I really, really need to get to the grocery store. It is beginning to be a little ridiculous...tumbleweeds are going to start blowing through my pantry! If I can pull this off, then I can avoid the store until tomorrow, or Saturday at the latest. I hate taking my 2 1/2 year old grocery shopping, so I try to go when the husband is home to watch him, or we can all go together. This helps me avoid the mid-shopping meltdown (for both the boy and I). For some reason, my son's behavior is terrible when it is just the two of us at the grocery store...but then, he magically behaves when Dad goes. Hmmmm. I think my husband secretly bribes him, or they are conspiring together to drive me crazy. Anyway, this recipe is another one of Claire's finds. I love being able to copy her ideas! I will serve this with whatever veggie I can find in my freezer.

Taco Crescent Bake

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
2 cups crushed corn chips
1 can tomato sauce
1 package crescent rolls
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded cheese

Directions:
Grease/spray a 9x13 baking pan. Spread out the crescent roll dough along the bottom and sides. Pinch the perforations closed. Crumble a layer of half the chips. Brown and drain the ground beef. Add tomato sauce and taco seasoning to the ground beef and simmer a few minutes. Pour beef mixture over chips. Top with sour cream, cheese and remaining chips. Bake. Enjoy!

Bake uncovered at 350 for 25-30 min or until crust is lightly brown

Jen’s Notes:
Sprinkle salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder on ground beef while browning. Add approx. 1 teaspoon of adobo sauce (from chipotle chile can, if on hand) to tomato sauce mixture. Also, you can add green chiles to the ground beef for extra flavor.

For a quick condiment: Cut up 1 avocado into diced pieces (slightly mash w/ fork), cover with juice of ½ lemon and sprinkle with salt to serve on top.



The Result:
This was really good, but I knew it would be. It is such an easy, yummy, comforting casserole. I served it with brussel sprouts, which are not my favorite (as I may have mentioned in the past). I only make them because the husband loves them and they are packed with nutrition. My little son ate a few tonight, too...so I feel my sacrifice is not in vain. At least I can fake my way through liking them, so he will eat them. Hey, I am a parent...what can I say. I make sure to eat a full serving and I try not to make faces or gagging noises (at least so my son does not notice). Anyway, this remains to be a proven family favorite at our house.

No comments: