December 11, 2008

Jen's Bean Burritos with Mashed Avocado

When it turns December 1st, it seems like my schedule goes bonkers. We have been super-crazy busy this week, and there are no signs of it slowing down. I guess I will rest in January! I am slightly behind in posts, but I hope to be caught up today. There will be lots of cooking going on at my house, so stay tuned. Aside from normal holiday madness, cookie baking and Christmas Polish Sausage making will be in the works soon...but those are topics for other posts. Then, there is the traditional Jen's Christmas Eve Italian Feast, but I am not sure if that is happening this year or not. Anyway, on to last night's dinner...I am rambling.

My son had a late afternoon ear doctor appointment yesterday, so we did not get home until after 5pm (again). I did not thaw any protein items out, so I threw together my favorite single person meal I used to make myself all the time when I lived alone. I would get home from work pretty late on most occasions, so this would be the perfect filling, quick, and nutritious dinner to throw together in 15 minutes or less. Basically, my burrito filling is doctored-up canned vegetarian refried beans. Let me tell you, it still hits the spot. I did not have any side items with it, just the burritos and mashed avocado. It was so good! I love easy dinners when life gets hectic, and this dish fills my second vegetarian meal o' the week requirement.

Jen's Bean Burritos
1-2 cans of vegetarian refried beans
1-2 tablespoons of butter
1/2 of a onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 4 oz. can of green chiles
1 teaspoon of Ancho chile powder
1/2 teaspoon of Adobo seasoning
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of onion powder
1 teaspoon of coriander
1 teaspoon of cumin
3-4 shakes of hot sauce (I always use Tapatio)
salt and black pepper to taste
1/4 to 1/2 cup of stock (I use either beef or vegetable stock)
shredded or sliced cheese (I use Colby or Monterrey Jack)
whole wheat tortillas

Burrito Toppings:
More shredded cheese
salsa
sour cream
mashed avocado

Directions:
Heat butter over medium heat in large medium sauce pan, until melted and starting to foam. Add onions, green chiles and cook until onions are soft and translucent (but not brown. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Add all spices, hot sauce, and salt and pepper and stir to combine. Mix in beans and stock, and stir to combine thoroughly; until beans are pliable. Add cheese. Turn heat down to medium-low and heat until beans are warmed through, making sure to stir so beans do not stick and all ingredients are integrated thoroughly. Roll in warm wheat tortillas with favorite toppings and serve.

Jen's Mashed Avocado

Ingredients:
1-2 avocados
lime juice
lemon juice
salt and pepper

Directions:
Remove flesh from avocado skin and pit and mash with a fork. Add in all other ingredients to taste, while continuing to mash to desired flavor and consistency.

Jen's Notes:
Avocado mixture can be saved for one or two days in an airtight container in the fridge, if you include an avocado pit (in the middle of the mixture) to prevent oxidation.




No comments: