December 3, 2008

Jen's Chicken Pot Pie

Oh man, am I excited for dinner tonight! I know I say this a lot...but this is one of my favorite meals. It is so warm and homey, I just can't help but love it. It is easy, well balanced, cheap, and satisfying. Seriously, what is not to love!?!?!?!? I originally got this recipe from a friend of a friend, and modified it over the years. This is another standard in my repertoire that I love to share with people. It is perfect cold weather food (even though it is 75 degrees here in Phoenix). (Hey, that is cold for us!!!!)
I am bringing my friend Claire dinner tonight, so this meal is pulling double duty. Most of the time I have enough for two pies with one batch of filling, so this dish is perfect. Normally, I freeze the extra filling for another pie down the road, but obviously I will not have to do that tonight. Easy and delicious!

Jen's Chicken Pot Pie

Ingredients:
Pastry for 2 pie crusts (I use frozen)
1/2 cup of chopped onions
6 Tablespoons of butter
1/2 cup of flour
3 cups chicken stock
3 cups cooked cubed chicken
1 10 ounce package of frozen veggies (I use peas, corn, carrot, green bean mix)
1 clove of minced garlic
paprika to taste (1/2 teaspoon or more)
garlic powder to taste (1/2 teaspoon or more)
onion powder to taste (1/2 teaspoon or more)
dried parsley flakes to taste (1 teaspoon or more)
salt and pepper to taste (1 teaspoon each or more)

Directions:
Preheat oven at 450 degrees. Cook frozen veggies according to package directions and set aside.

In large saute pan, cook onion in butter until tender (but not brown). Add garlic and cook for another minute. Blend in flour, parsley, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Add chicken stock all at once. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly. Once thick and bubbly, add cooked chicken cubes and cooked veggies.

Thaw and prepare pastry crust according to package directions. Pour filling into one pie crust. Top with second pie crust, pinch edges together to seal two pie crusts together, and cut vent slits in top. Butter top of pie. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until pie crust is done.


Jen's Notes:
Leftover cooked chicken is great in this recipe. Also, I like to use deep dish frozen pie crusts.



The Result:
This was really good. I had some issues with the pie crust I bought; but in the end, it turned out all right. This was just as yummy as I remembered it to be!

No comments: