December 5, 2008

Jen's Red Mexican Rice Surprise

I could not find a rice recipe that was exactly what I wanted, so I decided that I was going to improvise my own. This is another surprise recipe, so I am not sure exactly how it is going to turn out.

Jen's Red Mexican Rice Surprise

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or use bacon grease; or a combo of both)
1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of minced garlic
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cups water or chicken stock
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 4 oz can of diced green chiles
1/2 of 4 oz can of diced jalapenos (2 oz. total) OR 1 diced chipotle pepper
1-2 teaspoons chili powder (use Ancho if you have it)
Cumin
Coriander
Cayenne pepper (just a pinch)
Salt and pepper
Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
chopped green onions for garnish

Directions:
1. Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Sauté rice, onion, and bell pepper, green chiles, and jalapenos, until rice is browned and onions are tender. Add garlic and cook for another minute.

2. Stir in water (or stock) and tomatoes. Season with cumin, coriander, chile powder, cayenne, pepper and salt. Cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed. Add cilantro & green onions to garnish.

Jen's Notes:
I might use Chipotle peppers (instead of using the diced jalapenos), since I have them saved in the fridge and all ready to go.



The Result:
Oh man, the fajitas and rice turned out perfect. It was exactly what I wanted. They were so good. I put two whole chipotle chiles in the rice, and I think that was almost a little too spicy. We had to tone it down with a little sour cream. I think next time I will either stick with jalapenos or just one chipotle pepper. Other than that, this meal was perfect and both items will be put into rotation. Yum!

No comments: