December 13, 2008

Portobello Parmesan

The husband and I are sick with flu-like symptoms, but unfortunately we still need to eat dinner. The boy has been at Grandma and Papaw's Party Palace all day, but was just delivered home a few minutes ago. I was hoping they would keep him over night, but no such luck. Then, I could have skipped dinner all together and remained guilt-free about it. I would've just had scrambled eggs or cereal and went back to my couch. Sigh. With a kid in the house I forced to come up with some sort of meal for tonight. Luckily, I am the least sick out of the two of us (apparently my flu shot did some good) and this is an easy dinner. It really should not be that bad...besides this is one of my favorites. I don't know why, but it sounds really homey and good and tomato-y...kind of a weird comfort food, I know. The husband's stomach has been all wonky, so he may just sleep through dinner anyway. I noticed that since I started my blog, I have not made this dish. That makes me sad that it has been sooooo long ago. I am really looking forward to having it again, and I think it will hit the spot. I don't have the energy to make any side items, so I guess this is it for us tonight.

Portobello Parmesan

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for greasing the grill pan
4 to 6 Portobello mushrooms
3 cloves of garlic, minced finely
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup marinara sauce (store bought or homemade)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces

Directions:
Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill.
Drizzle 3 tablespoons of olive oil over both sides of the mushrooms. Sprinkle the mushrooms with salt and pepper. Drizzle olive oil on the grill to prevent the mushrooms from sticking. Grill until the mushrooms are heated through and tender, about 5 minutes per side.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Spread 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Place the grilled mushrooms on top of the marinara sauce and top with the minced garlic, a little Parmesan cheese, and the remaining marinara sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and top with the butter pieces. Garnish with more Parmesan cheese over the top. Bake until the cheese melts and the top is golden, about 15 minutes, then serve.



The Result:
This was fan-freakin'-tastic as usual. I heart this dish very much!

1 comment:

jenanderson said...

I hope you guys feel better.
Jen A