January 29, 2009

Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns

I found this recipe on recipezaar.com, which is my new favorite go-to recipe website. They just seem to have a more diverse collection of recipes. Also, I love that they calculate the nutritional info and post it like a food label. These buns got really good reviews and I love that they are whole wheat. I try to keep all our bread products whole wheat or whole grain, and I really try to stay away from processed "white" breads. In fact, my son is the opposite of most kids...he thinks "brown" bread is the norm and "white" bread is strange.

As I type this post, my dough is rising. So far, this dough was fairly easy to assemble, but I am not even close to being finished with this recipe. I will give it a full review after dinner tonight and let you know how this works out.

Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns
Recipe #318534 by Sharon123
2¾ hours | 2½ hours prep

SERVES 12; Makes 12 buns

Ingredients:
2 cups warm water
1/4 cup corn oil or canola oil
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup cooked oatmeal
1/4 cup flax seed, ground
1/2 cup honey
6 cups whole wheat flour (you can replace 2 of the cups with white flour if you like)
2 tablespoons active dry yeast

Directions:
In a large mixing bowl place all ingredients except flour and yeast.
Mix, adding 4 cups whole wheat flour(or 2 cups white flour, 2 cups whole wheat, if desired)and 2 tbls. yeast.

Whip with a wooden spoon 5 minutes. Slowly, add the rest of the flour. Turn out on a floured board and knead till smooth.

Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and place dough in it. Put in a warm place to rise, covered with a towel, about 1 hour.

When the dough has doubled in size, divide into 12 pieces. Roll into smooth balls. Flatten with the palm of your hand and place on a baking sheet.

Let rise till doubled, about 45 minutes to an hour.
Bake at 350*F. 20-25 minutes.
Remove from oven. Cool on wire rack.

© 2009 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved. http://www.recipezaar.com





The Result:
These turned out great! They were not difficult to make, and they were really, really yummy. They were a little more dense than your normal store-bought hamburger bun; but I actually like that. They were the perfect texture of chewy, without being tough or too doughy. The outside of the bun was slightly crisp, while the inside was the perfect bun consistency. Also, these buns were pretty sturdy, as they reminded me more of ciabatta rolls or something. They stood up well to all the pork and cole slaw that I heaped onto them. Just heavy enough to be satisfying, without feeling like you swallowed a brick. Overall, I am happy that I tried these buns. I love making things from scratch, and these buns were no exception!

1 comment:

Claire said...

I'm going to have to try these as I have a horrible time finding hamburger buns that don't have high fructose corn syrup in them.