March 8, 2009

Broccoli-Cauliflower Casserole

Last time I made this recipe, I combined it with another dish in my post. I wanted to separate it out, so it is easier to link back to in the future. This is the side dish we are having with our Pork Schnitzel. I am hoping that it pairs well with the flavors of the pork. I love that this dish is a all-in-one starch/vegetable combo. That means I only have to make one side items to fill both requirements, instead of two!

Broccoli-Cauliflower Casserole

Ingredients:
* 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
* 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
* 2 eggs
* 1 large onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
* 1 can (10.75 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
* 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
* 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
* 1 box (6 ounces) chicken-flavored stuffing mix
* 4 tablespoons unsalted butter

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F.

2. In a large pot, steam cauliflower for 7 to 8 minutes and broccoli for 5 minutes, or until fork-tender. Set aside.

3. In a food processor or blender, mix together eggs, onion, soup and mayonnaise until smooth.

4. In a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish, spread cauliflower in an even layer. Sprinkle with half the cheese and top with half of the soup mixture. Repeat layering with broccoli and remaining cheese and soup mixture.

5. Prepare stuffing mix following package directions. Spoon stuffing over top of casserole. Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes. Serve warm.

The Result:
Did you see the photo below???? This looked good, didn't it??? Let me assure you, it tasted good, too! I really like this dish. It went nicely with our pork, so I am finding that it is pretty versatile. It goes well with a variety of main courses, and I still think it could be a stand-alone vegetarian meal all by itself. I will certainly be turning to this casserole recipe whenever I find fresh broccoli and cauliflower for a good price. It is both easy and yummy!

No comments: