March 29, 2009

Grilled Red Pepper Relish and Goat Cheese Sandwiches, Easy Yellow Rice and Black Beans

This is one of my favorite easy dinners. There is no cooking involved for the sandwiches themselves, only grilling (or toasting) of the bread. I usually like to make these babies in the summertime, since the red pepper relish and goat cheese combo is actually very refreshing. We haven't had these for a few months, so I thought tonight would be a good time to serve them again. We have a late afternoon errand to run, so I need something fast and no-fuss. Also, I like to start the week with a vegetarian offering. It just makes fitting in two other vegetarian meals later in the week a lot easier. I think I will serve these sandwiches with a saffron yellow rice and black bean dish. My friend, Claire turned me on to the saffron yellow rice and black beans, with chicken added in. Since I am keeping tonight's meal vegetarian, I think I will just make the rice and black beans, sans chicken. Super simple and darn tasty! The yellow rice isn't the healthiest (it has MSG in it) but I love it anyway. When black beans are added, at least the nutrition level is bumped up a notch. I think that is gonna do it for our dinner. It is just what I need...simple, fast, and yummy!

Grilled Red Pepper Relish and Goat Cheese Sandwiches

Here is what I am doing for the yellow rice side dish...

Easy Yellow Rice and Black Beans

Ingredients:
1 package of saffron yellow rice mix (I use Mahatma brand)
1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
Salt and pepper to taste
Creole seasoning to taste (optional)

Directions:
Make rice according to package directions. Stir in black beans and heat through. Season with salt, pepper, and Creole seasoning and mix thoroughly. Serve immediately.

No comments: