March 14, 2009

Laura's Sweet and Sour Meatballs

I totally had to switch up my dinner plans at the last minute today. Originally, I had a completely different recipe planned, but then I realized I was missing a few key ingredients. Duh! I had to back-burner my other recipe and do some fast thinking to come up with something else. I remembered my friend, Laura made this good (and easy) Sweet and Sour Meatball dish. I had some frozen meatballs I needed to use up anyway, so I thought this would be a perfect choice. Since the meatballs were really easy to put together, I wanted some quick/easy side dishes, too. I decided to steam some Asian-style veggies in the microwave, and make some instant white rice to complete my no-hassle feast! (I have a love/hate relationship with instant white rice. I love that it is sooooo easy, but I detest that it is nutritionally void!) Overall, this was a yummy, fast-cooking meal!

Laura's Sweet and Sour Meatballs

Ingredients:
Frozen meatballs
1 cup of brown sugar (cut back to 2/3 cup if you want them less sweet)
1/4 cup of white vinegar
1 tsp of yellow mustard
1/4 cup of BBQ sauce
1/2 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup of soy sauce (optional)

Directions:
In a small bowl combine all ingredients except meatballs and mix well. Place meatballs in a glass casserole dish and pour sauce mixture all over, making sure all the meatballs are well coated. Bake at 350 degrees for 1/2 hour. Serve over white or brown rice.

Jen's Notes:
I wanted this to be more Asian-inspired, so I added the soy sauce. Laura's original recipe did not include it. Also, if you want your sauce less sweet and more sour (that is how I prefer it), I would cut back the brown sugar to 2/3 cup. This recipe is pretty versatile, so I think you could add some other ingredients to give it totally different flavor profile. I think garlic powder, onion powder, or even some Sambal Oelek would be really good.



The Result:
This is a great go-to meal. Easy, fast, and yummy!

No comments: