March 5, 2009

No-Guilt Pumpkin Cookies

I still had some pumpkin leftover from bread-making, so I thought I would try this recipe for cookies. My friend, Claire found it on recipezaar.com when she was looking for pumpkin ideas. After a glowing review from Claire, I decided I just had to make these babies. Oh man! She was quite right to brag about these cookies...they are great! Light, fluffy, cake-like. Not too sweet, but nice and buttery. Yum! I heart them very much. Also, the recipe should come with a warning label...these cookies are highly addictive! You cannot eat just one!

No-Guilt Pumpkin Cookies
Recipe #169079

Ingredients:
1/2 cup sugar or Splenda granular
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large bowl, beat sugars and margarine until light and fluffy. Add pumpkin, vanilla, and egg; blend well. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges.

Jen's Notes:
I added a teaspoon of nutmeg, too. What can I say??? I love nutmeg. Also, I think that cinnamon should not be without nutmeg. It is just such a classic pairing.



The Result:
Is it wrong to have cookies for breakfast??? I hope not, because this is precisely what my son and I ate this morning. In fact, it was his idea! Who am I to say that we should not have delicious, No-Guilt Pumpkin Cookies for breakfast???? After all, you are not allowed to feel guilty while eating them...it says so right in the title! I assume that includes breakfast, too.

No comments: