April 30, 2009

Jen's Spaghetti and Meat Sauce (with Ground Turkey)

It's been a dicey week for my stomach, but I think it is finally back to normal. I am craving comfort food, but I could not decide exactly what I wanted. Then, I thought back to all the dishes I loved when I was a kid, and spaghetti and meat sauce popped into my brain. Eureka!!!! Perfect choice!!!! Sadly, I don't have any ground beef. I know, I know...I could have wept when I discovered this little nugget of info. So, I am trying to decide what to do. Do I want to haul my carcass to the store and buy some beef (or call the hubs to stop and get it) or do I want to make due with ground turkey?????? I am still not sure. I thawed the turkey, just in case...but the siren song o' beef is still calling me. I have never tried my traditional recipe with turkey. However, I will be grossly disappointed if it does not turn out exactly how I want it (i.e. with undercurrents of yummy, beefy, goodness). Ugh. Decisions!!!! Now, do you see why I procrastinated with my post today??? Anyway, I am still not sure what to do. It is already 4pm, so I need to think fast. Huh. Yeah.... I still don't know. Oh well, I will think about it and get back to you later.

For now, below is the recipe link for my spaghetti...

Jen's Spaghetti and Meat Sauce

Garlic bread would be nice, too....

Hmmmmm...I go get beef AND I could also pick up some bread...

BUT...Turkey is much healthier....AND already thawed....

Ugh. What to do????

The Result:
Well, I didn't take a new photo. It was spaghetti and meat sauce...so not that interesting to look at. I am sure you are dying to know what I ended up doing, right???? Turkey vs. Beef???? Let me end the suspense. Laziness won out and I went with the turkey. I hate extra trips to the store, and I did not want to violate the cardinal rule of motherhood (j.e. NEVER wake a peacefully sleeping three-year-old boy unless your house is on fire.) My son actually took a really late nap, and I ended up not having time to go to the store. The whole beef thing ended up being a moot point. I couldn't have gone to the store and back, and still been able to get dinner on the table at a reasonable time. Oh well. The turkey was good...not as good as the beef would have been....but good, nonetheless. I would use turkey as a beef substitute again, if needed.

1 comment:

Claire said...

add some beef broth to your sauce?