April 24, 2009

Porcupine Meatballs and Jen's Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Tonight, I bring you another dinner from my mother in law. At the end of my pregnancy, when I was on official "bed rest", my mother in law came over and cooked this very dinner for us. After I had my son, I begged her to show me how to make this recipe. As with all of my mother in law's meals, it was so super-simple to pull together and totally delicious. Even now, I am still completely excited to have this dish again. I have been looking forward to this dinner all week! It is just the perfect weeknight meal to have with a salad and a serving of veggies. Yum! Comfort food at it's finest!!!!


Porcupine Meatballs

Ingredients:
cooking spray
2 eggs
1 lb. of lean ground beef
1/2 of an onion, diced
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup of instant white rice
1 small can of tomato sauce
1 can of diced tomatoes
water

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine the following and mix with clean hands: eggs, ground beef, onion,instant rice, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Once all ingredients are combined, pinch off a bit of meat and form golf ball sized meatballs, by rolling meat between your palms. When all meatballs are formed set them aside.

Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and heat on medium-high heat. When skillet is hot, place meatballs in skillet to brown. Make sure to turn meatballs, so they get brown on all sides. Also, do not overcrowd the skillet or meat will not brown properly; you may have to work in batches. Return all browned meatballs to the pan, and cover with diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and 1/2 can of water. Simmer until sauce is thick and meatballs are cooked through, about 20-30 minutes. You can add more water to get the sauce consistency that you want, if needed. Serve and enjoy!

Here is the link for my other recipe:

Jen's Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Jen's Notes:
The meatball recipe can be easily doubled. I am actually going to double both recipes tonight to bring to a friend for dinner.



The Result:
I love this dinner! It was so comforting and homey....just delicious!

No comments: