May 25, 2009

Jen's Italian Greek Pasta Salad

The family and I are going to a potluck, Memorial Day BBQ this afternoon. My contribution to the potluck is a version of my normal Italian pasta salad recipe. I decided to make it more Greek-inspired to see how it would turn out. All I can say is yum, yum, yum! I like the Greek version as much as the original recipe.

Here is the link to my original version...

Jen's Italian Pasta Salad

Here is the new Greek version...

Jen's Italian Greek Pasta Salad

Ingredients:
1 bag of cooked multi colored pasta spirals, drained
1 small OR 1/2 of large red onion
1 small can of black olive slices
3 tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/2 English cucumber, diced finely
2 Tablespoon of fresh parsley, chopped
1 bottle of Newman's Own Light Italian Salad Dressing
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup of feta cheese
1/4 cup of green onions, white and green parts, diced

Directions:
Cook and cool pasta. Combine pasta with all other ingredients and mix thoroghly. Let sit so flavors may combine for minimum 2 hours (overnight is better). Serve cool or at room temerature.

******************************

On another note, I cleaned out my freezer last night and found some protein items that are getting a "little long in the tooth" (i.e. old...I don't know why I just didn't say old in the first place). For the rest of the week - and maybe next week, too - will be dedicated to using up what I already have on hand and all of my freezer finds. That means I will be short on vegetarian recipes for the next couple of weeks. I will get back to my three vegetarian meals per week, after I get a good handle on my food supply.
I am, however, making an effort to buy more fresh fruits and vegetables. I love the summer bounty of fresh produce. I am trying to incorporate more fresh fruit and veggies into every meal, too. For example, instead of snacking and having dessert at night, we have been having fresh fruit after dinner instead. It really keeps my 9pm sugar/chocolate craving at bay!

No comments: