December 7, 2009

Basil-Mushroom Pork Chops

I found this recipe on my friend Claire's blog, who originally got it from our other friend Danielle. Danielle found it on allrecipes.com, but tweaked it some by suggesting the use of fresh mushrooms with it. Does that make sense??? Anyway, this dish has gotten great reviews from all that have tried it, so I thought I would put it on the menu plan this week. The ingredients are things that I always have on hand, and I am happy to have another great pork recipe up my sleeve. I think I will serve some Trader Joe's Wild Rice Pilaf and steamed veggies to go along on the side.

Basil-Mushroom Pork Chops
Adapted from: allrecipes.com/By: Lisa Gilliand

Ingredients:
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
4 (4 ounce) boneless pork loin chops, 1/2 inch thick
1 (6 oz.) container of fresh button mushrooms, sliced

Directions:
In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, basil, salt and chili powder. Gradually stir in 1 tablespoon oil until crumbly. Rub over both sides of pork chops.
In a large skillet, cook pork in remaining oil over medium heat for 7-8 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. (Add mushrooms to the pan right after you flip the pork and saute until soft.)



The Result:
This was fan-freakin'-tastic! So, so good. I really could not imagine how this dish would turn out, due to the combination of brown sugar and other ingredients. Let me tell you, it was delicious. The brown sugar was not sweet; but instead, turned into a savory glaze when paired with the other rub items. Yum, yum, yum. I love the addition of the mushrooms, and the pork chops were so juicy and perfectly seasoned. Best of all, it was easy to assemble and quick to cook...but it tasted like I put real effort into it. This will be a dinner we make again and again! Thanks Danielle and Claire!!!

No comments: