January 19, 2010

Chicken Oreganato

I am avoiding the grocery store like the plague, so I decided to switch around my meal plan so we could eat stuff we already have on hand tonight. This recipe looks yummy and simple. I am not sure what I will serve with it, probably some sort of starch component and a green veggie. This promises to be easy and delicious.

Chicken Oreganato
From: Meal Planning 101
*Original Recipe from Teresa @ Allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
8 chicken thighs
2 teaspoons dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 lemon, juiced
Zest of lemon

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Rinse the chicken thighs and then pat dry. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper and place skin side down in a greased 9x13 baking dish. In a resealable glass jar or container, add the olive oil, lemon zest and lemon juice, close tightly and shake well. Pour half the lemon oil over the chicken. Sprinkle the chicken thighs with 1 tsp of oregano and place in the oven.

Once they have baked for 15 minutes, flip the chicken over, drizzle with the remaining lemon oil and sprinkle on the remaining tsp of oregano. Place back in the oven for 15-20 minutes. To get a nice golden color on the skin, broil for a couple minutes at the end of the baking time.

Serve with wedges of lemon to squeeze more delicious lemony goodness on them at the table.



The Result:
This is the type of recipe that I just L-O-V-E! It was super-simple to put together, and it turned out really, really, really good. The chicken had great flavor, the texture of the meat was juicy, and the skin was perfectly crisp. Yum! I think the whole dish took less than 10 minutes to put together, and 1/2 hour total cook time. I did end up turning on the broiler for a few minutes to crisp up the skin (probably about 3-4 minutes tops), and it worked beautifully. We served this chicken with a side of whole wheat couscous and some steamed green beans. Lastly, we spooned some of the pan juices over both the chicken and the couscous. It was sooooo tasty! This dish will become a go-to favorite that we will make again and again!!!

2 comments:

The Meal Planner said...

I seriously L-O-V-E this dish too! I love that I barely have to do any work and it's so freakin' delicious. This is one of my favorite go-to pantry meals when I am thinking of something to make last minute. Glad you and your family liked it!

P.S. I do exact same as you and pour those pan juices over EVERYTHING :)

deb said...

what a fun blog! I found you when I did a search for Barefoot Contessa's onion rings. I love her too. :)