February 6, 2010

Ina's Indonesian Ginger Chicken

My friend, Claire made this dish a couple of weeks ago for her Barefoot Bloggers group. Her family loved this recipe and it seemed pretty easy, so I thought I would give it a go. I had to do a lot of adapting, since this version fed a lot more people than I needed to feed. I will link the title to the original recipe on Claire's blog, and just post what I did below. We are serving this meal with some steamed Asian-style veggies and rice. It is in the oven right now, and it smells really good!

Ina's Indonesian Ginger Chicken
Adapted From: 1999, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, All rights reserved

Ingredients:
1/2 cup of honey
1/3 cup of low sodium soy sauce
4 minced garlic cloves
1 Tablespoon of ground ginger
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
cooking spray

Directions:
In a large zip top plastic bag, combine honey, ginger, soy sauce, and garlic. Place bag in microwave to heat for 30 seconds, or until all ingredients are warm and combined. Place chicken breasts in marinade bag, and marinate overnight (or for at least 8 hours).

When marinating time is finished, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 8 x 8 casserole dish with cooking spray and place chicken in the bottom of the dish. Pour marinade over it. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.

Serve chicken with rice and veggies with sauce spooned over the top.



The Result:
I don't think I adapted this recipe properly, because we were underwhelmed. It was okay, but nothing spectacular. The sauce didn't set up correctly; so I didn't get the glaze that I was looking for, but instead a thinner version. The flavor was good, I just think I goofed it up somehow. Sigh...oh well. I guess you can't win 'em all! I don't think I will be making this dish again, unless I am following Ina's recipe to the letter. I really think it lost something during my translation.

No comments: