April 24, 2010

Cooking Light's Cheese Enchilada Casserole

Man-oh-man! I have had a busy couple of days, and there is no slow down in sight. I think this must be what life is like with three children, so I better get used to it. It is funny what my new "normal" encompasses. At least I am still finding time to cook.
Anyway, we had this dish last night for dinner with a side salad. Once again, Cooking Light has been an awesome resource for healthy and tasty vegetarian meals.

Cooking Light's Cheese Enchilada Casserole
From: Cooking Light, October 2002 (featured in the Cooking Light's Everyday Favorites cookbook)

Ingredients:
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup chopped tomato
1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1/3 cup sliced green onions
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
9 (6-inch) corn tortillas
Cooking spray
1 cup taco sauce (such as Ortega)
1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375°.

Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Arrange 3 tortillas in bottom of an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread half of cheese mixture over tortillas. Repeat procedure with 3 tortillas and remaining cheese mixture; top with remaining tortillas.

Pour taco sauce over tortillas; sprinkle with Monterey Jack cheese. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until cheese melts.

Nutritional Information:
Yields: 4 Servings
Calories:299 (18% from fat)
Fat:6g (sat 2.8g,mono 1.7g,poly 0.9g)
Protein:19.1g
Carbohydrate:42.3g
Fiber:4.3g
Cholesterol:15mg
Iron:1.4mg
Sodium:1029mg
Calcium:332mg





The Results:
This was fast, easy, and really good. I goofed and used hot sauce instead of taco sauce, so ours was super-spicy. I had already poured the sauce onto the casserole before noticing the bottle read "hot sauce". OOPS!!! Even with my mistake, this casserole was still very yummy. Next time I make it, I will be sure to use the correct sauce. Otherwise, this is another keeper!

No comments: