May 6, 2010

Hibachi Steak with Noodles

Has hell frozen over???? Is the world coming to an end soon???? I think it must be close, because I am trying a Sandra Lee recipe for dinner tonight. Yup. Sandra Lee. It's not a typo. I know, I know...crazy, right??? If you haven't guessed, I am NOT a Sandra Lee fan. Then how and why did I decide to use one of her recipes? Well, let me explain. I have an elliptical machine in my bedroom; and when I workout on said elliptical machine, I watch the Food Network.(Let's ignore the fact that I watch food shows while exercising...I have issues.) Typically, I try to time my exercise schedule with a show I like to watch (i.e. Barefoot Contessa), but sometimes the show ends or my timing is off and I end up watching things I don't usually like to watch...ever. Case in point, Sandra's Money Saving Meals. While I find this show less offensive than her previous show Semi-Homemade (seriously, tablescapes!?!?!), it is still a little ridiculous. Although, the concept of the new show is solid, I just can't get past her perfectly feathered hair and her talk of "round 2 recipes" while shaking her hips. Her mannerisms, voice, and overt blondness drives me bonkers. If you are a Sandra Lee fan, I am sorry. I am sure she is a nice person, but just not my cup of tea. Also, I don't consider opening a can or box of pre-packaged food "cooking"...not for every meal, at least.

Okay, now that we have straightened out my views on Sandra Lee; let's talk about why I am trying one of her recipes. The answer is...I don't know. It looked good, and easy, and I have all the ingredients, and I was trapped on the elliptical and she must have pulled some voodoo magic through the television and hypnotized me. That is really the only rational explanation. I rest my case. Wish me luck.

Hibachi Steak with Noodles
Adapted from: foodnetwork.com; Sandra's Money Saving Meals

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 large carrot, thinly sliced
1 zucchini, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 (8-ounce) package sliced mushrooms
1 pound top round steak (I would prefer lean sirloin instead)
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 cup of sugar snap peas, ends trimmed
3/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 piece of peeled fresh ginger, grated (1 inch piece)
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons butter
1 package of noodles, such as thin spaghetti or cappelini
chopped cilantro, for garnish

Directions:
Put a large skillet over high heat and add half of the oil. Cut the steak into small cubes, and when oil is hot add steak to skillet and stir-fry until browned on all sides, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove to plate and set aside to rest. Add the other half of oil to hot skillet. Add vegetables and cook until tender, but crisp.

While veggies are cooking, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat and cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and add to a serving bowl or platter.

In a small bowl combine the soy sauce, cider vinegar, garlic, ginger, and cornstarch and set aside.

Add the steak, along with any accumulated juices,back to the pan with the vegetables. Stir the cornstarch/soy sauce mixture into the vegetables and cook until the sauce has thickened, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the butter. Top the cooked noodles with the steak and vegetable mixture and serve with cilantro garnish on top.





The Result:
This was really good! Really! I amended the recipe by adding a bit more veggies, but I kept the spirit of the dish in tact. Hooray for Sandra Lee...for once! I made my changes to the above ingredients and directions to show what I actually did, and linked to her original version under the recipe title. The only comment I have is that round steak is the wrong cut of meat to use. It is simply too tough for a quick cooking method. I think a lean sirloin would have been a much better choice of meat. Other than that, Sandra's dish was very yummy. This is something that I will certainly make again. Who'da thunk it!!!

No comments: