May 9, 2010

Portobello Mushroom Fajitas

I found this recipe in The Best of Cooking Light Everyday Favorites cookbook that I am holding hostage from the library. I finally broke down and ordered one online yesterday, so I should be getting it in the mail soon and returning my borrowed copy. The Phoenix Public Library system will be thankful, since they won't have to waste precious resources hunting me down and recovering their copy of this book. :)

Oh, and Happy Mothers Day to all the mamas out there!

Portobello Mushroom Fajitas
From: Martha Rose Shulman, Cooking Light, JANUARY 2005

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cups (1/2-inch-thick) slices portobello mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
1 cup vertically sliced red onion
1 cup (1/4-inch-thick) green bell pepper strips
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 serrano chile, minced
12 (6-inch) flour tortillas
1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled queso fresco (I am using Monterrey Jack cheese instead)
3/4 cup salsa verde

Directions:
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes or until almost tender. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 4 minutes or until bell pepper is crisp-tender, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro, lime juice, salt, black pepper, and chile.

Warm tortillas according to package directions. Spoon about 1/4 cup mushroom mixture down center of each tortilla; top each tortilla with 4 teaspoons cheese and 1 tablespoon salsa. Roll up.

Nutritional Information:
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3 fajitas)
Calories:437 (26% from fat)
Fat:12.7g (sat 3.6g,mono 6.8g,poly 1.5g)
Protein:13.8g
Carbohydrate:65.9g
Fiber:4.9g
Cholesterol:9mg
Iron:3.9mg
Sodium:792mg
Calcium:219mg



The Result:
First, I am not a very good fajita photographer...I just couldn't get a nice pic. However--despite my sucky camera skills--these fajitas were fairly mediocre. Not great, but good. My husband and I thought they tasted like traditional fajita filling, without the main meat component. Basically, fajitas without the fajita. It is a decent enough vegetarian take on the regular steak, shrimp, or chicken versions; but, since we are not strict vegetarians, I think we will stick with the classic meat or shrimp approach. Overall, these were good...no complaints taste-wise...but I just like the non-vegetarian kind much better and I felt like these were a little lacking. I don't think I will make these again; but if they look yummy to you, then try 'em and see for yourself.

No comments: