July 3, 2010

Pizza with NY Strip, Blue Cheese, and Balsamic Glaze

I am not a fan of Bobby Flay, however this recipe sounded too good to scoff at just because of the source (i.e. Mr. Flay). I am glad I tried it, because it was certainly delicious! The only change I made was that I adapted it to include my whole wheat pizza dough, instead of the crust outlined in the recipe. My crust turned out great and was a little more healthful. Although, I won't be wearing an "I heart Bobby Flay" t-shirt anytime soon, I will say that this pizza was really great and it totally hit the spot.

PS-I would consider wearing an "I heart grilled pizza" shirt in the near future.

Pizza with NY Strip, Blue Cheese, and Balsamic GlazeAdapted From: foodnetwork.com

Ingredients:

Balsamic Glaze:
2 cups balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Steak:
1 (12-ounce) NY strip steak
Canola oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Pizza:
1 batch of Quick Homemade Whole Wheat Pizza Crust, cut in half and shaped into 2 pizzas (see recipe below)
Canola oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
Grilled steak
1 bunch watercress, coarsely chopped
Balsamic Glaze
Shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano

Directions:

For the glaze:
Bring vinegar to a boil in a small nonreactive saucepan and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 1/2 cup. Stir in the honey and season with salt and pepper, to taste.

For the steak:
Heat grill to high. Brush steak on both sides with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until golden brown and slightly charred on both sides and cooked to medium-rare doneness, about 5 minutes per side. Remove from the grill to a cutting board, tent lightly with foil and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice into 1/4-inch thick slices.

For the pizza:
Heat the grill to high.

Brush both sides of the pizzas with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Remove from the grill, divide the Monterey Jack cheese over the top of each one and then sprinkle with the blue cheese. Place back on the grill, close the cover of the grill and grill until the cheese has melted, about 1 minute. Remove to a flat surface, divide the steak between each pizza, then top with the watercress Drizzle with some of the balsamic glaze and sprinkle with some of the shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano.

************************************

Quick Homemade Whole Wheat Pizza Crust

Ingredients:
1 package of active dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 cup warm water
1 1/2 cups of AP flour
1 cup of whole wheat flour
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon of garlic powder

Directions:
In a medium bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy (about 10 minutes). Stir in flour, salt, & olive oil. Beat until smooth. Let rest 5 minutes. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat or roll into a round.

Cook on grill, as indicated in the above directions or according to your recipe instructions.

Jen's Notes:
I made one pizza without blue cheese and one with blue cheese. The hubby is not a blue cheese fan. This turned out great with just the jack cheese on it, as well. Arugula or baby spinach could be good substitutes for the watercress, if you cannot find it.

I think this would work well with grilled, sliced portobello mushrooms for a vegetarian version; or some grilled chicken slices if you are trying to avoid red meat. Although I must admit, the steak was sooooo yummy and a real treat!



The Result:
Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum, yum!

1 comment:

Claire said...

I've modified my meal plan for tonight to make this. I was at Trader Joe's and saw the pizza dough, so I bought that and some kind of herb/lettuce blend because I didn't see watercress anywhere there. I have everything else for it, except I'll have to use mozzarella instead of Monterey Jack cheese. I'm excited to try it.