September 15, 2010

Tomato Sauce with Butter and Onion

My son started playing soccer this evening and had his first official team practice. My friend, Claire and I have our boys on the same team, and we are really geeked about now being "soccer moms". Nerdy, I know!

Anyway, I wanted something simple to put together after practice, since I knew our evening was going to be hectic. Claire (the very same above-mentioned, co-soccer mom) sent me this recipe a few weeks ago to try out, and said it was one of their favorite vegetarian picks. She was right, it was fantastic! My husband and I were actually drinking the sauce out of our bowls...classy, right?!?!?!? The sauce did end up being very easy to put together; but make sure you allow for the 45 minute simmering time. I didn't. We ended up feeding the kids and putting them to bed, before my husband and I had this dish for dinner. I will admit, it was kinda nice having a relaxing dinner without any crying combatants hanging around. As much as I love my kids, it is really nice to have a peaceful meal with my husband now and again! So, thanks again Claire for a great dinner idea. This pasta dish will certainly become a vegetarian staple in our rotation.

Oh, and GO SHARKS!

Tomato Sauce with Butter and Onion
From: SmittenKitchen.com

Ingredients:
28 ounces (800 grams) whole peeled tomatoes from a can (San Marzano, if you can find them)
5 tablespoons (70 grams) unsalted butter
1 medium-sized yellow onion, peeled and halved
Salt to taste
grated Parmesan cheese, as garnish

Directions:
Put the tomatoes, onion and butter in a heavy saucepan (it fit just right in a 3-quart) over medium heat. Bring the sauce to a simmer then lower the heat to keep the sauce at a slow, steady simmer for about 45 minutes, or until droplets of fat float free of the tomatoes. Stir occasionally, crushing the tomatoes against the side of the pot with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat, discard the onion, add salt to taste (you might find, as I did, that your tomatoes came salted and that you don’t need to add more) and keep warm while you prepare your pasta.

Serve with spaghetti, with or without grated parmesan cheese to pass.



The Result:
Totally slurpable sauce! It was soooo freakin' yummy! I ended up using 1/2 box of linguine for the pasta, and it worked out great. I mixed my cooked pasta in with my sauce, and the sauce to noodle ratio was perfect. Yum, yum, yummy, yum, yum.

1 comment:

Claire said...

I should have warned you about the 45 minute cook time! When you said at soccer that's what you were making it crossed my mind, but I thought maybe you'd left it simmering while you were at soccer. But I guess with a gas range that probably wouldn't be a good idea, huh.