November 8, 2010

Nutty Granola

I usually eat granola on a daily basis. My favorite breakfast is Greek non-fat yogurt, fresh berries of some sort, and granola. The more "stuff" in the granola (i.e. raisins, nuts, seeds, grains, etc.) the better. Unfortunately, I ran out of granola this morning and I forgot to buy some during my weekly grocery shop. I remembered seeing this granola recipe in my Ellie Krieger The Foods You Crave cookbook when I was looking for dinner ideas the other day. Thankfully, it seemed pretty fast to put together and I had everything on hand. I love it when I think on my feet. Granola crisis averted!!!

Nutty Granola
From: The Food You Crave cookbook, by: Ellie Krieger; 2007

Ingredients:
Cooking Spray
3 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup chopped raw, unsalted walnuts
1/2 cup chopped unsalted almonds
1/2 cup chopped unsalted pecans
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl combine the oats, nuts, maple syrup, salt, cinnamon and the raisins, if using. Spread the mixture onto the baking sheet and bake until golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Transfer the sheet to a cooling rack and let cool completely. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to two weeks.

The Result:
This granola was awesome and so easy to make!!!! I don't think I will ever buy granola again.

No comments: