November 13, 2010

Spinach Linguine with Walnut Sauce

I am rediscovering my love for Martha Stewart.

When I was single, I simply adored her. I subscribed to her magazine(s), watched her show(s), and was pretty much a solid devotee to the Martha-way of life.(Although, I still cannot garden or sew worth a darn.)

However, somehow-someway I weaned myself off of Martha. I don't remember why exactly, either. Maybe it was because I happened to be working crazy hours??? I just did not have the time or energy to have quaint little dinner parties for eight on the fly, grow and butcher all my own food, mill my own flour for baking, cook the entire meal from scratch, redecorate my house around the theme of the party, make all my own place settings by firing the ceramics, pick, process, sew, and dye the cotton for the tablecloth and napkins, then come up with clever conversation starters that were both meaningfully appropriate and suitably reflective of the global economic/social climate of the time.

Yeah, I think that was it.

Anyway, I think Martha has lightened up a little bit. Or I have. I have watched her new show a few times and recently purchased two different copies of her Everyday Food cookbooks. Both seem to be less frenetic and fussy; and definitely more usable for a modern homemaker, such as myself. I find that I am better able to connect more with this older, wiser, and more relaxed Martha. I like it.

This is one of many recipe in her Everyday Food cookbook(s) that showcase her simple (yet still delicious and elegant) approach to mealtime. Martha is slowly working her way back into my heart!

Spinach Linguine with Walnut Sauce
From: Everyday Food, September 2003

Ingredients:
2 cups walnut halves
1 pound spinach linguine
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 cup heavy cream
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
1/2 cup chopped parsley

Directions:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread walnut halves on a rimmed baking sheet; toast until fragrant, 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cook linguine in a pot of boiling salted water until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain; return to pot.

2.Process half of walnuts, cream, and garlic in a food processor until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Toss with pasta, remaining walnuts, Parmesan, and parsley. Serve with more Parmesan.



The Result:
This was really easy and tasty! We all really liked it. My husband actually said that the more he ate of it, the more he liked it. It did seem pretty calorie-laden with all the heavy cream, but I don't think it was all that bad. I need to plug this dish into a 'calorie-counter recipe-analyzer do-hickey-thingy' to see exactly how it works out. The scale numbers were still in my favor this morning...even after having this pasta last night for dinner. (Although, I limited my portion size and served a big green salad on the side.) I will certainly keep this dish in the vegetarian rotation. Thanks, Martha!!!

No comments: