December 17, 2010

Pistachio-Crusted Fish and White Wine-Scented Couscous

I needed a "healthy food" break from all of the holiday food madness. Seriously, the baked goods insanity needs to stop. I think I have eaten my weight in Christmas cookies alone. Then, there's the alcohol. What exactly is it about Christmastime that makes me want to drink like a fish??? Ugh. All of the celebratory events with the decadent food and free-flowin' booze are really nice, but it is easy to get burnt out(*) quickly.

(*Okay, not so much "burnt out", but more like "I stepped on the scale this morning"...yikes!)

Anyway, here is another Martha Stewart gem, that is both simple and freakin' yummy. I think this recipe is my new favorite way to prepare fish. Totally easy and totally delicious; a combo that I l-o-v-e. I served our fish with some whole wheat couscous and steamed green beans, and the entire meal was so satisfying. This dinner was a perfect solution to the holiday food coma situation I have going on. Martha, you sly devil...you did it again!

Pistachio-Crusted Fish
From: marthastewart.com, Everyday Food, December 2008

Ingredients:
4 (6 oz.) cod fillets OR other firm white fish (I used tilapia)
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1/2 cup shelled, unsalted pistachios
1/2 cup packed fresh parsley
1 garlic clove
3 tablespoons olive oil
Lemon wedges, for serving

Directions:
1.Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place fish on sheet; season with salt and pepper, and set aside.

2.In a food processor, pulse pistachios, parsley, and garlic until coarsely chopped, 15 seconds. With machine running, add oil in a steady stream; blend until mixture is finely chopped. Season with salt and pepper.

3.Top fish with pistachio mixture. Roast until fish is opaque throughout, 12 to 14 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.

***********************************************

Jen's White Wine-Scented Couscous

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon of butter
1/2 small yellow onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup of whole wheat couscous
1/2 cup of dry white wine
1 cup of water
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Melt butter over medium heat, in a medium-sized sauce pan. Add onions and a pinch of salt. Stir and cook until the onions are soft and translucent. Add minced garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds, until garlic is fragrant. Add couscous to pan. Stir occasionally and cook until the couscous slightly toasted, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn heat up to medium-high, and stir in white wine. Cook until the wine is absorbed/evaporated. Add cup of water and bring to a boil. Place lid on saucepan, turn off heat, and let couscous steep for 5-10 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. Adjust seasoning, if needed. Fluff with a fork and serve immediately.



The Result:
Our tilapia was cooked perfectly and sooooo tasty! Also, I am quite pleased with the way the couscous turned out. Historically, I am usually in a "take it, or leave it" mindset when it comes to couscous. Frankly, it is a little bland. However, this couscous recipe that I concocted was quite flavorful and delicious! (It did not escape my notice that I had to use wine to jazz it up...I guess I couldn't go 'cold-turkey' on the no booze thing after all.) Both of these recipes are keepers.

No comments: