January 3, 2011

Apricot and Cheddar Chicken Melts

Well, my 2011 cookbook project is already off to a rocky start. Not intentionally, mind you. It's just because I am a certifiable doofus. The two "cookbook" recipes that I planned this week, are not from actual "cookbooks". How does that happen, you ask? Well...I found two Martha Stewart recipes on my iPhone app that I thought looked familiar. I said to myself, "Self, because these two recipes look familiar I bet they are in one of your Martha Stewart cookbooks. Don't check or follow up in any way. Just go ahead and put 'em on the menu plan and worry about it later." So that is what I did (or rather didn't do). I put both unverified recipes on my menu plan that I THOUGHT were in my cookbook(s). As it turns out, they are NOT in said cookbook(s). ::SIGH:: Oh well. I guess the cookbook project will officially start next week.

These (non-cookbook related) open-faced sandwiches were really great. The flavors were layered and complex; a winning sweet/savory combination. Again, we had some fresh roasted asparagus as our side dish. What can I say...my family loves asparagus. This was a really fun, new take on the ubiquitous boneless, skinless, chicken breast.

Apricot and Cheddar Chicken Melts
From: Martha Stewart Everday Food app for iPhone (via marthastewart.com; Everyday Food, September 2007)

Ingredients:
1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 garlic cloves, chopped
Coarse salt and ground pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6 to 8 ounces each), split horizontally
1 baguette (about 20 inches), split horizontally, then cut in half
1/4 cup apricot preserves
4 ounces thinly sliced deli ham (I used prosciutto)
4 ounces white cheddar cheese, grated (1 cup)

Directions:
1.Heat broiler, with rack set 4 inches from heat. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. In a shallow dish or resealable plastic bag, combine vinegar, mustard, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; add chicken, and turn to coat. Marinate at room temperature for 10 minutes (or cover and refrigerate in marinade up to 24 hours).

2.Lift chicken from marinade, and place on prepared baking sheet; broil (without turning) until opaque throughout. Transfer chicken to a work surface; discard pan juices from baking sheet.

3.Place baguette pieces on baking sheet, cut side up; dividing evenly, spread with apricot preserves, and layer with chicken, ham, and then cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, 4 to 6 minutes.



The Result:
This was a great sandwich idea! I used prosciutto instead of deli ham, and a whole wheat loaf instead of classic baguette. I think these melts would also be fantastic with fig jam, in lieu of the apricot preserves. (Although, the apricot flavor was delicious as-is.) Cookbook or no cookbook, this was a great chicken recipe!

1 comment:

Claire said...

It's okay, mine doesn't start until week after next because of stupid phase one. These sandwiches look amazing...and I'm not just saying that because I'm carb deprived!