July 14, 2011

Herb Crusted Pork Loin

This is one of my favorite ways to make a pork loin roast. I've made this recipe several times in the past; it's very easy to put together and delicious. Given that this recipe is my favorite pork loin application, I was quite surprised to see that I hadn't ever posted it here on the ol' blog. Very strange. I could have sworn that I had updated it here long ago, but I could not find it anywhere. Huh. Maybe I have amnesia??? Maybe there is a huge pork loin conspiracy afoot and it was secretly removed from my blog after I had posted it the first time??? Both scenarios are totally plausible. (No, I have not been drinking.)

Anyway, this is a Paula Deen recipe from waaaay back in 2007. I am typically not a Paula Deen fan, but she hit the ball out of the park with this one. (I think it's her blue hair and smoker's rasp that bothers me.)(Sorry, Paula fans...I'm sure she is a lovely woman.) I served our roast with some ooey-gooey Jen's Top Secret Cheesy Potatoes and steamed green beans. It was a perfect Sunday night dinner that felt really special, but did not require a lot of fuss to put together.

Herb Crusted Pork Loin
From: Paula Deen, 2007

Ingredients:
1 (4-pound) boneless pork loin, with fat left on
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme or 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon dried basil or 2 teaspoons fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoon dried rosemary or 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary

Directions:
Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.

Place the pork loin on a rack in a roasting pan, fat side up. Combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl. With your fingers, massage the mixture onto the pork loin, covering all of the meat and fat.

Roast the pork FAT SIDE UP for 30 minutes, then reduce the heat to 425 degrees F and roast for an additional hour.

Test for doneness using an instant-read thermometer. When the internal temperature reaches 155 degrees F, remove the roast from the oven. Allow it to sit for about 20 minutes before carving. It will continue to cook while it rests.



The Result:
I should clarify something. The cook time on this dish is total 1 1/2 hours. Yes, that is a long cook time. However, that time is inactive on your part. It takes about 10 minutes of actual prep, and then you stick it in the oven and manage the temperature changes after the 1/2 hour cooking time mark. It is really easy, just time consuming. I just wanted to make sure to point that out, because the long cooking time caught me off guard the first time I made this roast.

With that said, it is a delicious roast. I have made it with both dried and fresh herbs, and it really doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Usually, I do make it with the dried herbs. I always have dried herbs on hand, so it's just hassle-free for me to go the dried herb route. Either way, it makes for a very special, traditional meal that is good enough for company. I highly recommend this recipe on a night that you don't mind dinner taking an hour and a half to cook. Trust me, it's worth the time!

2 comments:

Claire said...

We had this for Christmas dinner one year at my mom's. It is tasty!! And see, aren't you glad now you bought the eight pound roast since this used up half of it???

Claire said...

By the way, I may have to break my "only using the grill and crockpot in the summer" rule I've imposed to make your cheesy potatoes. They sound so good right now!