August 11, 2011

Grilled Balsamic London Broil

My bff, Gertrude and I went to a local butcher shop yesterday that is aptly named The Meat Shop.

(Note: I've decided that I have a co-dependent relationship with my bff, Claire and we spend way too much time together, and I mention her way too much on my blog. I've decided to make up a new bff named Gertrude so it doesn't seem like I only have one friend and I can mention someone else on my blog besides ol' "what's her name".)

(Not that "what's her name" is ol', by the way. Claire, if you are reading this you are not ol', but young and spry. I'm just sayin'...)

Anyway, Gertrude and I stopped into this locally owned and operated butcher shop and loved it! They carried locally grown, grass-fed beef and pork; some of which they actually raise themselves. The meat possibilities were endless, and I was overwhelmed with choices. (We decided that a spur of the moment meat shopping trip was probably not the best idea; and next time we would be armed with a meat purchasing plan.)

I ended up buying a couple slabs of grass-fed London broil (that were cut right in front of my very eyes), handmade sausage (Linguisa), pork chorizo, and some ground pork/bacon burgers. Since the London broil was fresh, I decided to grill it right away for our dinner and push back my other meal plans. I wanted to make sure that we got all the benefits of the grass-fed beefy goodness at it's optimum state of freshness. I searched food.com and found this easy marinade that turned out to be really yummy. Our dinner was fantastic, and I am trying to figure out a way to purchase all of my beef and pork at The Meat Shop. Yum!

Grilled Balsamic London Broil
Adapted From: food.com, by: Ginny P; Sept. 2002, #39911

Ingredients:
1/2 lb London broil (top round steak), 1 inch thick
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 clove of minced fresh garlic
black pepper, to taste

Directions:

Put all ingredients, except meat, in a container fitted with a lid; cover and shake.

Pour the marinade over the meat in a zip top bag.

Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight, turning the meat occasionally.

Grill or broil until done as desired (5-7 minutes per side).

Let the meat rest for 5 minutes, slice thinly, and serve.

The Result:
We had 3 adults and 3 kids eating dinner; so I doubled the quantity of all the ingredients, including the meat. I forgot to take a photo, but this recipe was so easy and delicious. The meat was perfectly seasoned and cooked. We served our London broil with a side of baked sweet potato fries, and enjoyed every bite. Based on the success of this London Broil, I can't wait to dive into my other purchases from The Meat Shop.

1 comment:

Claire said...

Hahaha!! Maybe I'll make up a new friend named Clementine. Or Irene. And I don't know who you're calling old--you have 1.5 years on me, lady!!