August 10, 2011

Portobello Goat Cheese Pitas

It seems that we have really been on a meat-spree lately. I feel like we are just consuming mass quantities of beef, chicken, and pork. What is that all about???? Once upon a time ago, I was pretty diligent about having 2-3 vegetarian meals every week. I'm not sure why that fell apart, but I think it had something to do with us just getting tired of the vegetarian options out there (especially since we are not fans of tofu). Anyway, my hope was restored in vegetarian meals when I found this recipe in Cooking Light magazine. This was virtually no-cook, and it was flavorful and fast to put together...a perfect choice for getting me back on the vegetarian band wagon.

Portobello Goat Cheese Pitas
Adapted From: Cooking Light magazine, August 2004, Alison Lewis

Ingredients:
1 1/2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic (I used minced fresh garlic)
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 (6-inch) pita rounds (I used naan bread)
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
4-6 whole portobello mushroom caps, sliced
2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1/3 cup (3 ounces) goat cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
balsamic vinegar, to drizzle

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place sliced portobellos on large cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil salt and pepper. Toss with clean hands. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle the minced garlic onto the cooked mushrooms. Return the sheet to the oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from oven, drizzle a little bit of balsamic vinegar evenly over mushrooms, and set aside.

Soften goat cheese at room temperature. (This can also be done in the microwave for a few seconds. Just be careful and watch it closely or your goat cheese will turn to liquid.) When goat cheese is at desired texture (i.e. easily spreadable) spread on pita rounds or on naan bread. Sprinkle chopped fresh basil over goat cheese layer. Add fresh sliced tomatoes and a few portobello slices. Fold and serve as a sandwich.



The Result:
Yet another gem to add to my vegetarian repertoire. The original recipe called for grilled portobellos, but I didn't feel like messing with the grill or a grill pan for that matter. I think it was just easier to stick the mushrooms in the oven and let them do their thing. I did link the original recipe above, just in case you would like to see the original method. Also, I thought it needed a boost so I added in the balsamic drizzle (not in the original recipe). Either way, these pitas were easy and delicious!

No comments: