September 19, 2011

Grilled Shrimp and Sausage Skewers with Smoky Paprika Glaze (or Not)

We are in the middle of moving and I realized--much too late--that I packed up my skewers along with some of my other kitchen stuff. EEK! I quickly had to adapt this recipe and what I got was more of a skillet stir-fry, than actual grilled skewers. I literally just tossed everything in a pan with the glaze and served it over brown rice. It was still delicious, but I would like to make this the right way someday.

Grilled Shrimp and Sausage Skewers with Smoky Paprika Glaze
Source: Bon Appetit, June 2010

Ingredients:
3/4 cup olive oil
4 large garlic cloves, pressed
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
5 teaspoons smoked paprika
4 teaspoons Sherry wine vinegar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
12 uncooked extra-large shrimp (13 to 15 per pound), peeled, deveined
12 1-inch-long pieces andouille or other fully cooked smoked sausages (such as linguiƧa; about 16 ounces)
12 cherry tomatoes
12 2-layer sections of red onion wedges
Nonstick vegetable oil spray

Directions:
Whisk oil, garlic, thyme, smoked paprika, Sherry wine vinegar, salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper in medium bowl to blend for glaze. Transfer half of glaze to small bowl and reserve for serving.

Alternately thread shrimp, sausage pieces, cherry tomatoes, and sections of onion wedges on each of 6 long metal skewers. Arrange skewers on large rimmed baking sheet. DO AHEAD Can be made up to 6 hours ahead. Cover and chill skewers and bowls of glaze separately.

Coat grill rack with nonstick spray and prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Brush skewers on both sides with glaze from 1 bowl. Grill until shrimp are opaque in center, turning and brushing occasionally with more glaze, 6 to 8 minutes.

Arrange skewers on platter. Serve with remaining bowl of glaze.



The Result:
Very yummy, but I would like to try the actual skewers. I decided to just post the actual recipe, instead of the mess that I made. (It was good, but not too visually appealing.) My way was really all about survival, man...not anything that is worth duplicating. The flavors were so tasty, and I would recommend this recipe either way. Yum!

No comments: