October 22, 2011

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Waffles with Buttermilk Caramel Syrup

I recently purchased a waffle iron; and ever since then, I can't seem to get waffles out of my mind. I decided to look up a waffle and syrup recipe on the world wide web and break in my new appliance. Breakfast for dinner??? Yes, please!!!

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Waffles
From: tastykitchen.com, by: deliciouswic

Ingredients:
1/3 cups Butter
2 whole Eggs (separated)
2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoons Salt
1 1/2 cup Buttermilk
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
2 Tablespoons Powdered Sugar

Directions:
Melt butter in the microwave and set aside to cool.

Separate the egg yolks from the whites and beat the egg whites to soft peaks.

Whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt) in a large bowl and preheat your waffle iron.

Whisk the egg yolks together with the buttermilk, vanilla and sugar.

Now add the dry ingredients into the wet. This way you will not have flour sticking to the bottom of the bowl.

As soon as the waffle iron is ready, slowly fold in the egg whites. Ladle into the waffle iron and cook until golden brown and delicious.

****************************

Buttermilk Caramel Syrup
From: creationsbykara.com via Pinterest

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
In a large saucepan, bring buttermilk, sugars, and butter to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and stir in soda and vanilla. It will bubble up a lot. As it cools, the bubbles will go away.

The Result:
I forgot to take a photo, but these turned out great. Perfect waffles to satisfy my waffle hankerin'. I am a waffle novice, so I was pleased that (despite my waffle-making ignorance) they still turned out crispy on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside. Yum!

Now, onto the syrup...

The syrup was fan-freakin'-tastic! Seriously, drinkable. Try it. Try it now, if you can. You will thank me.

No comments: