November 26, 2011

Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Rice

I had a late evening hair appointment last week, and I needed something that the husband could handle feeding the kids while I was out. I don't like leaving dinner up in the air, especially when I know the hubs has already put in a long day at the office and he would have to scramble to cook something from scratch or get takeout. (I do mean scramble, literally. Most of my husband's dinner ideas for the kids involve eggs.) Magically, I had everything on hand for this, so it was super-simple to put together...exactly what I had in mind for a busy weeknight meal when I wasn't going to be home. I love recipes that are basically a version of 'throw everything in the slow cooker' and make a pot of brown rice to go along with it. By the time I left for the salon, everyone was happily munching away.

Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Rice
Adapted From: Stick A Fork In It blog via Pinterest

Ingredients:
2-4 frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 pkg. (8 oz.) low fat cream cheese, softened
1 can low fat cream of chicken soup
1 pkg. dried italian dressing seasoning
1 bag of frozen mixed vegetables
salt and pepper to taste
brown rice, prepared according to package directions

Directions:
Stir the cream cheese, cream of chicken soup, and seasoning together in the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add in the frozen chicken breasts and cover with the cheese/soup mixture. Cook on high 4-6 hours or until the chicken is cooked and tender. One hour before serving, mix in the bag of frozen vegetables and resume cooking. Once cook time is finished, remove chicken and either shred or cube it and return it to the mix. Serve chicken mixture over cooked brown rice.

The Result:
This was a solid, family-pleasing recipe with very few ingredients. A definite hit at my house!

(Sorry, no photo for this one. I forgot to ask my husband to snap one. To be fair, it really wasn't an attractive dinner. It pretty much looked like your typical crockpot concoction. I would probably describe it as untidy, and almost casserole-ish. I guess sometimes tasty dinner's aren't always visually appealing, as in this case. If I wanted to get wordy, I could describe it as "unpretentious" and "unassuming". At any rate, it was yummy and that's all that counts in our book.)

No comments: