December 21, 2011

Saltine Toffee (dubbed "Christmas Crack")

I can't believe it's been so long since I've last update my blog! I actually started this post back on December 21st, 2011 and I am now finishing it on January 8th, 2012. Yeesh! With all the parties, Christmas, my son's school concert and winter break, New Year's, two visits from the Tooth Fairy, and my husband's vacation, really cut into my "alone" computer time. While it was nice to have everyone home for a plethora of good ol' fashioned family fun, I'm actually glad to be getting back into the swing of a normal routine again.

So this past holiday season was all about survival-mode for me. I really didn't cook anything new, and I was basically trying to keep everyone fed and happy amongst the busyness. I had to look back on my camera to see if I had any recipe photos, and I only had two new ones from December since the last post. Just two...that's it!!! However, I am glad to report that what I lacked in quantity, I made up for fully with quality. The two recipes that I did try out were pretty darn great (this one included).

My friend, Claire passed this easy recipe on to me and I tweaked it a little based on what I had on hand. Here is my version of this delicious "cookie", although I guess it falls more under the heading of a toffee or bark. Either way, Claire and I decided to call it "Christmas Crack" since it is soooo freakin' awesomely addicting. I had to stop myself several times from going to the store and purchasing more ingredients for making additional batches. If you have a hankerin' for something easy to make and a little naughty, this recipe is for you!

Saltine Toffee (dubbed "Christmas Crack")
Adapted From: The Girl Who Ate Everything website

Ingredients:
1-2 sleeves of saltine crackers
2 stick (4 oz) butter
2 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups chocolate chips (I used 1 bag)
2 cups butterscotch chips (I used 1 bag)
crushed or slivered raw almonds
sea salt

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

2. Arrange the crackers in a single layer on the baking sheet so that there are no empty spaces in between them. Crush any remaining crackers into small crumbs and set aside for now.

3. Place the butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir while the butter melts, and bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Once boiling, carefully pour the sugar-butter mixture over the crackers on the baking sheet in an even layer, trying to cover most of the crackers. If you miss some spots, don’t worry as the toffee will spread in the oven.

4. Bake the toffee crackers at 350 degrees for five minutes, until the toffee is bubbling all over. Carefully remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for one minute.

5. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the hot toffee, and allow them to sit for one minute to soften and melt. Once softened, use an offset spatula or knife to spread the melted chocolate over the entire surface of the toffee in an even layer. While the chocolate is still sticky, sprinkle the top with the reserved crushed crackers.

6. Refrigerate the pan to set the toffee and chocolate for about 30 minutes. Once set, break into small uneven pieces by hand, and enjoy! Store uneaten saltine toffee in an airtight container for up to a week.



The Result:
I gained a few pounds over the holiday break, and I think I owe it mostly to this toffee. I'm not exaggerating; it's that good and shockingly easy to put together.

No comments: