February 8, 2012

Mexican Layer Dip

I almost forgot about my bean dip! I had a plethora of leftover beans from burritos, so I decided to make this dip to go on my football food party table. I had all the ingredients on hand, so it was easy to just assemble. Again, Pioneer Woman did not advise poorly...this bean dip was even better than the one my mom used to make in the 80's!

Mexican Layer Dip
From: The Pioneer Woman, via thepioneerwoman.com
Link: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/01/mexican-layer-dip/

Ingredients:
1 can refried Beans
Tabasco Sauce, To Taste
1 can Diced Green Chilies
Ground Cumin, to taste
3/4 cups Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 cup Sour Cream
1 cup Guacamole
3/4 cups Monterey Jack Cheese
1 can Black Olives
1 cup Pico De Gallo

Directions:
Begin by throwing the refried beans into a small pan over medium-low heat. Add several dashes of Tabasco sauce and a small can of (undrained) diced green chiles. Stir well. Next, sprinkle a little bit of ground Cumin.

Spread the beans on the bottom of a glass bowl or high-sided dish. Over this sprinkle the sharp cheddar. Next, plop your sour cream. And spread it into a single layer, being careful not to disturb the cheese underneath.

The next layer is the guacamole. Spread it over the sour cream. Follow this with a layer of Monterey Jack Cheese and a nice sprinkling of chopped black olives.

Lastly, place a generous layer of Pico de Gallo. You can also, if you have the gumption for it, sprinkle some diced jalapenos over top.

The Result:
This was snarfed down all to quickly, so no photo. I actually served this over chips for dinner the next evening to my family. I know, I know...bean dip for dinner???? I called it vegetarian nachos, thank you very much. (Please submit your "Mother of the Year" accolades here...)

No comments: