March 7, 2012

Casserole Series #4: Creamy Chicken & Broccoli Casserole

A few months ago, I started a casserole series. I haven't updated it for awhile, because I really hadn't found any "worthy" casseroles to post lately. However, this one was pretty darn tasty, so I decided to deem it "Casserole Series-worthy". The flavor profile wasn't really anything new; I know I've made similar casseroles to this in the past. I also remember my mom making a version of this dinner, so it seems that this has been a family staple for years and years. However, even though this dish may not be totally unique, it was still a great example of what this meal-in-one has always embodied...homey, comforting, creamy, cheesy, chicken-y, broccoli-flavored goodness.



Creamy Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
Pearls, Handcuffs, & Happy Hour.blogspot.com

Ingredients:
3 chicken breasts, cooked & shredded
1 cans of cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup of mayo
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup colby & Monterey jack cheese
1 bag frozen broccoli,thawed and chopped
salt & pepper to taste
cooked brown rice (optional, for serving)

Directions:
Cook chicken & shred. Meanwhile, chop the broccoli. Now, mix all ingredients together. Transfer mixture to a lightly greased 2 qt. casserole dish & heat oven to 375 degrees.Cook for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Serve with brown rice.



Casserole is never pretty on the plate...casserole photos always make me cringe. Oh well. Despite the tragic look of this meal, it was a crowd-pleaser. I do want to mention that this dish can be low carb if you choose to omit serving it over the brown rice. I did cut back on the amount of Cream of Chicken soup and mayo from the original recipe, and it still was creamy and delicious. My family loves a good casserole!

No comments: