June 4, 2012

Chimichurri

I have several posts to update, but I thought I'd pop on here and give you an easy recipe. I need some uninterrupted time with my laptop, so I can get everything updated; but alas, I'm the mother of three small children and I hardly ever get a block of time where I can do that. (Okay here is an amendment: if I do get some time I'm usually cleaning/picking up the house/controlling chaos/napping/rocking back in forth in a fetal position.)

For right now, here is an easy Chimichurri recipe that I used as topping for some grilled steaks we had recently. I'm going to Maui in October for a wedding and I want to be bikini-ready...or at least tankini-ready. I'm doing a modified low-carb diet until then; it's actually a macro-nutrient cycling diet from the book Crack the Fat Loss Code by Wendy Chant. Anyway, I'm in the first week which is low-carb. This chimichurri (which if you don't know what that is, it's similar to a pesto sauce) was easy to whip up and would go well with any protein (chicken, fish, steak, etc.) main ingredient. It fits the low-carb profile and was really, really tasty. Even if you are not doing a low-carb diet, I would recommend this topping for a twist on grilled meats/poultry/fish. YUM!

Chimichurri
Adapted From: food.com, recipe #21151

Ingredients:
1 bunch of parsley (flat leaf or curly is fine)
1/2 bunch of cilantro
8 cloves garlic, smashed & peeled
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1-2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon diced onion
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Pulse parsley and cilantro in a food processor to chop. Add remaining ingredients and blend. Separate sauce into equal parts.
(Use half for basting or marinade and use other half for table service).

No comments: