August 23, 2012

Blackened Tilapia Baja Tacos

(I took a bite of taco and then remembered I needed a photo. Oops!)

(Here is a pic of my blackened tilapia. I broke the big fillets up into pieces with a fork to make them more taco-friendly.)

As my bff, Claire pointed out earlier to me, it is Mexican food week at our house. I didn't even realize it until she said something. To be fair, we had turkey BLT sandwiches last night and are having an Italian-inspired dinner tomorrow. I guess it only seems like we are having all-Mexican food/all-the-time, because that is what I keep posting for new recipes.

I love a Baja-style fish taco and these were pretty darn great. I skipped the avocado and lime wedges; opting to use my leftover Pineapple Habenero salsa for topping instead. So far, I have not found any Mexican type meals that this salsa doesn't go with...I've been using on everything. It's so delicious, I just can't help myself! (Also, I made a big batch and I can't waste it.) The only other change I made was adding some fresh shredded green cabbage for a little extra crunch and bulk. One more note, the ingredients list is long...but don't let that intimidate you. Most of the ingredients are spices for the fish rub. My tacos came together quickly and easily. SCORE! These "food truck-esque" tacos are another Cooking Light keeper!

Blackened Tilapia Baja Tacos
From: Cooking Light, David Bonom, March 2011

Ingredients:

1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream (I substituted non-fat plain Greek yogurt)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
1 cup thinly sliced white onion (I used red onion, because I'm a rebel like that)
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
4 (6-ounce) tilapia fillets
1 tablespoon canola oil
8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
1/2 ripe peeled avocado, thinly sliced (I omitted the avocado)
4 lime wedges (I omitted the lime wedges)
your favorite salsa as topping (Optional. I used my Pineapple Habenero salsa)

Directions:

1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth. Combine jalapeño sauce and onion in a small bowl.

2. Combine paprika and next 6 ingredients (through ground red pepper); sprinkle evenly over fish. Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.

3. Warm tortillas according to package directions. Divide fish, onion mixture, and avocado evenly among tortillas. Serve with lime wedges and/or salsa.

No comments: