March 8, 2013

Shrimp and Pea Rice Bowls



I saved my favorite recipe for my last update. I am a big fan of curry and curry flavors, so I really loved this one. We don't have Indian or Thai food at home very often, because it tends to be somewhat labor-intensive to cook. This recipe was a nice compromise, because I got a hint of curry flavoring with the turmeric and crushed red peppers. It totally satisfied my curry fix for awhile! I used non-precooked rice, since I had the regular stuff on hand. It took a bit longer but still turned out great. Also, I had to double the recipe for my larger family, plus leftovers. Yum!

Shrimp and Pea Rice Bowls
From: Cooking Light, April 2012

Ingredients:
1 (8.8-ounce) pouch precooked brown rice (such as Uncle Ben's)(I actually used regular, non-precooked brown rice)
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup water
2/3 cup frozen green peas
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Directions:
Heat rice according to directions.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp; sauté 2 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute or until shrimp are done. Remove mixture from pan. Bring water to a simmer. Add peas; cover and cook 2 minutes or until done. Stir in rice, shrimp, vinegar, salt, pepper, and turmeric; cook 1 minute or until heated. Sprinkle with parsley.

No comments: