April 18, 2013

Pecan-Parm Crusted Cod



I had a few leftover cod fillets, still frozen, from my cod endeavor a couple of weeks ago. Since I didn't want to do the same thing over again (i.e. bacon-wrapped cod...although, it was tasty), I decided to venture into different territory. I wasn't sure how this was going to come together, since I just had a basic idea in my head and no real recipe. Thankfully, it turned out great and this was an easy way for my family to ingest their fish. Score! I served our cod with quinoa and some roasted Brussel sprouts (which roasted in the oven at the same time/temp as the fish). This was another satisfying fish dinner!

Pecan-Parm Crusted Cod

Ingredients:
2 handfuls of raw, unsalted pecan halves
1 inch piece of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs
1 teaspoon garlic powder
4-6 cod fillets, thawed if frozen
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup of egg whites
1/2 stick of melted butter
cooking spray

Directions:
Prepare baking sheet by placing a cooling rack in it and spraying with cooking spray. Set aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In food processor, combine pecans, parm cheese and pulse to chop into a breadcrumb-like texture. Remove mixture to a bowl and mix with panko, salt, pepper, garlic powder. Add egg whites to a separate bowl. Dip one fish fillet at a time into the egg whites, coating all sides. Then, dip into the pecan mixture, making sure to coat on all sides and pressing crumbs into the fish so they adhere. Place coated fish onto the baking sheet rack. Repeat with additional cod fillets. Spray tops of coated fillets with cooking spray. Bake for 30 minutes until fish is done and flakes easily. (cooking time may be less, depending on how thick your cod fillets are. Mine were pretty thick, so I needed the whole 30 minutes worth of cooking time.) Drizzle melted butter over top of the fish fillets and serve.




No comments: