December 22, 2015

Toasted Turkey and Smoked Mozzarella Subs

I saved my favorite recipe for the last update of the day. I have a unnatural affinity for sandwiches. I feel like Joey from Friends. I think it was the trivia game episode when Joey and Chandler faced off against Rachel and Monica to see who would win the apartment. They had to play a game of who knows whom better with random personal facts, and there was a lightning round. One of the questions was "what is Joey's favorite food?"...the answer: "sandwiches". Trust me, it was HI-larious. (If you don't get that Friends reference, I will be sad because that means I am really old and the 90's were the highlight of my pop culture existence.)

Anyway, I digress...

Where were we? Ah yes...sandwiches! They are yummy. This one was particularly yummy. Like really yummy.

Joey would've approved. ("Heeeeeeyyy, how YOU doin'?")

Try it and you'll see what I'm talking about.


Toasted Turkey and Smoked Mozzarella Subs
From: America's Test Kitchen Simple Recipes cookbook

Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained
2/3 cup basil pesto (homemade or jarred is fine...just use your favorite kind)
Salt and pepper to taste
4 (6 inch) sub sandwich rolls, slit partially open lengthwise
1 1/2 pounds thinly sliced deli turkey
12 ounces smoked mozzarella, sliced into thin rounds

Directions:
Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 500 degrees. Heat oil, garlic, and pepper flakes in large skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook until mixture is dry, about 10 minutes. Off heat, stir in 2 tablespoons pesto and season with salat and pepper to taste.

Spread remaining pesto inside each roll, then layer with turkey, tomato mixture, and cheese. Place sandwiches on baking sheet and bake until edges of bread are golden and cheese begins to melt, about 5 minutes. Serve.

No comments: