August 15, 2008

Grilled Marinated Whole Chicken

My In-Law's are coming over for dinner tonight, so I decided to try a new marinade on a whole grilled chicken. I found the recipe for the marinade on allrecipes.com, and it looks very similar to one that my friend Claire uses all the time.

To prepare the chicken for the grill, I cut the backbone out of the chicken, flipped it over, and pounded the breast bone to flatten the whole thing. Then, I tuck the wings behind the shoulders so they stay in place ( as mentioned in a previous post, this method is sometimes called 'spatchcock'...that term always makes me giggle). I have the bird marinating for approximately 3 hours, and I will turn it over once to make sure the marinade penetrates all parts of the meat. After that, we just throw the whole thing on a medium grill (we have a 3 burner grill, so we light the 2 outside burners and leave the middle one off) and cook for 1 hour without flipping. The chicken always comes out perfectly done.

I am not sure what I am going to serve with this dish. We have a ton of leftover broccoli slaw, so I think I may do that for the veggie portion of the meal. As for the starch, I am still not sure. I have a potential candidate...but nothing set in stone. I am going to dig around for a mac and cheese from scratch recipe and see how involved that is. Here is the chicken marinade recipe. I will post other dishes later on tonight, after I decide.

Chicken Marinade

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons finely minced
fresh parsley

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a medium bowl, mix together oil, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, wine vinegar, and lemon juice. Stir in mustard powder, salt, pepper, and parsley. Use to marinate chicken before cooking as desired. The longer you marinate, the more flavor it will have.

No comments: